Friday, January 30, 2015

Ellyse on Life! A Style Story


7 MORE DAYS! That's right, we are officially a WEEK away from our Sun Devils Wear Prada event on February 6th! Be sure to snag a ticket here and invite your girlfriends for a fun night out filled with fashion! Check out our awesome promo vid and get excited, because we are!


-----

Like we've said before, you can't have personal style without getting personal, so meet Ellyse, a Senior at ASU studying Management and Business Communication! Ellyse is someone we'd categorize in the SOFT Color Characteristic- we had a blast styling her and taking pictures at Tempe Marketplace. Check out her style story!



1.How do you describe your current personal style? Who has influenced you the most in your clothing choices? 
 I would describe my current style as comfy cute, yet polished. I enjoy putting together outfits that look nice-where you can tell I put some effort into it in the morning, yet comfortable enough for me to wear through a full day of work, classes, and running around. I definitely have my days of ASU t-shirts and a good pair of jeans (thank goodness maroon looks good on me!) but for the most part, I try to leave my room looking ready for the day. I didn’t always go for the polished look, however. There used to be a lot more days where I would spend an excessive amount of time in front of the mirror just to leave my room in a t-shirt and jeans. I used to avoid putting together new outfits because I was afraid I wouldn't be able to pull it off. So I stuck with what I knew! It's funny because it was actually this club that helped me to be more comfortable in my own skin and step out of my comfort zone in the realm of clothing. As I learned about what looked best on me and practiced it more and more, I found myself becoming more confident when it came to my own style.  And it's cool because the girls in the club were so supportive the whole time and helped me to build my confidence through their words and actions. 

2.When did your ‘style story’ begin? What was your age and circumstances when you began to shop for yourself and choose ‘styles for yourself? How did you personally feel about who you were at that stage of life? 
My "style story" really began in college. Like I said earlier, I would spend so much time over-analyzing my outfit and what people would think that I usually ended up just dressing down so no one would notice me. Even this didn't work though because most of the time I just found myself comparing my style choices with the girls around me- which just made me uncomfortable and self-conscious. If I didn't feel comfortable in what I was wearing, I usually wasn't having  good time. When I got involved with Sun Devils Wear Prada my freshman year, I began to learn about all of the things Shari talks about in the show. As I put into practice all of the things that we learn (what looks good on my body shape, my 'pop colors', even how to tie a scarf!), I found myself growing more confident in my style decisions. The girls in the club complimented each other for aspects of their style that made them unique. That was refreshing. I learned that confidence is the best accessory to any outfit and  that comparing myself to others is pointless. I have a unique style that I like to think compliments my personality.


3.What is your favorite personal feature and how do you ‘play it up’ in expressing your personal style? 
My personality. It sounds silly, but hear me out. I see my wardrobe as an extension of how I express myself as a person. I choose clothes that describe me. I like to look put together because as a business major with a strong Type A personality, looking professional is important to me. I also like to laugh. This explains my "eccentric" wardrobe pieces such as my obnoxious Sparky sweater or my cat shirt. But most of all, I enjoy being around people and making them feel comfortable. So most of the time, I go for a cute outfit that's not over the top. I don't want my outfit to be the center of attention (with the exception of the Sparky sweater, of course) but if it's a conversation starter, then that's cool. I like my style to be relatable. (if that's even a thing?)





4. Talk about your experiences shopping in boutiques, Malls or on-line clothing ordering.  Online shopping terrifies me and I grew up in a small town with limited stores. So whenever I went shopping, it was usually during a family trip to a mall in the closest city-which were few and far between. I'm a bargain hunter (cough cough cheapskate) so whenever I walk into a big store, I head straight for the sale rack in the back. Back in high school this meant that anything that was remotely cute and under $10, I bought, which lead to a closet full of clothes that I kind of liked but never really felt completely comfortable wearing. It also meant clothes that didn’t ever seem to last long. In college, I continue to hunt for bargains. Except now, I shop with a purpose. I remember hearing Shari tell us at a show that we should make a list of the clothing items we need before even stepping foot in a store and then sticking to that list. I've found that this is a fantastic tactic. I still don't go shopping often, but when I do I know exactly what I'm looking for. Sure, I'll pick up something that's not on my list if it's something I absolutely love and it's for a good price. But for the most part, sticking to the list means I am able to pick up quality items when they best fit into my college budget. Sometimes I leave the store empty-handed but I've found that having patience in these situations usually pays off. And my bank account would probably agree!

5. What are one or two items that are hardest for you to shop for, and why do you think that? 
Dresses are difficult for me. Because of my small waist and chest, I usually opt for the small dress. But wait- then there's my long legs-which mean maybe I should shoot for the medium. Dresses these days already seem to be pretty short. But when you take into account my height, most barely cover my rear end (and we're talking barely here). If it fits up top, it's going to be too short on the bottom. And if I go for length, I'm usually swimming in the top. And heels? Don’t even think about it, Ellyse. I love dresses-especially in the summer. But finding a good compromise can be harder than it seems.

6. What do you LOVE to shop for? Name a few of your favorite items? 
I don’t have one particular item I love shopping for (I'm not a shoe fanatic or an accessory guru) but the best feeling I get shopping is when I find something on my list on sale. Seriously, the BEST feeling in the world is coming home with something that I know I've been wanting for my wardrobe and getting it for a good price. When patience pays off-that's the most rewarding! 

7. What do you DISLIKE the most to shop for? Name a few of your least liked items? 
Swimsuits. I feel like this is a trend among many girls! Swimsuits can be hard because it's an item of clothing that usually covers the least amount of you. Finding a swimsuit that is cute, yet modest enough for my taste, AND fits right? Seriously, it's like guessing the winning numbers in the daily lottery. What I've found though is taking a friend helps. And realizing that swimsuit shopping is not something to be rushed. I usually go home and think about it for a few days before coming back to buy the suit. 





8. When you shop for clothing, how do you feel about your body? What do you think is the most challenging part of your body to dress and why? 
Shopping can be frustrating because I feel like I just don’t have a standard body type. Even when talking sizes for this styling session, I realized how all over the place I was. Tops? Small or medium. Heck, I can even do extra small sometimes. Pants? 4-6. Sometimes long though because regulars tend to  end above my ankles. Shoes? I really couldn’t tell you my shoe size, I'm pretty sure I have shoes ranging from 8-9.5 in my closet so good luck there!When I find an article of clothing that fits just right, it's a huge feeling of relief. Especially with pants. Since I'm somewhat of a d-body type, my hips can need a completely different size than my waist and legs. Finding a compromise between the two usually means settling for something that's either too tight here or too loose there. And then there's the issue of length. Whether it is a pair of paints of a shorter skirt, my long legs can complicate the entire process. I loved the skirt I got to wear for this photo shoot because it fit me at the smallest part of my body-my waist, and was the perfect length for me to wear heels.


We LOVED getting to know you and had a blast styling you! Thanks for being so honest about your personal style journey with us!

A BIG thank you goes to Matt Le Photography for the amazing photos, JCPenney for the fabulous outfits, and Tempe Marketplace!

No comments:

Post a Comment