Thursday, February 5, 2015

Style Stories: Looking Wonderful in the Water!

 ONE MORE DAY! We can barely contain our excitement- will you be there at the biggest fashion event at ASU? We hope so! If you haven't yet, you can grab those tix here, and watch this video to get pumped for our event!




 Meet Lindsay Kelley, a senior studying Psychology at ASU! We had so much fun working with her over the summer with the coolest underwater photoshoot! In fact, we'll be featuring some water-friendly looks at our Sun Devils Wear Prada fashion show! Check out Lindsay's Style Story and gorgeous photos below.




1.How do you describe your current personal style? Who has influenced you the most in your clothing choices?
                  My personal style is on average: very simple but put-together. I am not a big fan of jewelry, fancy shoes or purses. I like making my face and my personality the star of my outfit. If I don’t feel great, I usually won’t interact well with my friends. For the most part I like dressing in comfy clothes. My go-to outfit can be described as leggings and an oversized shirt. Maybe a jacket if it gets a little chilly. I think Pinterest has the most influence on my specific outfits nowadays, however my style has been gathered from influences like my mom, my friends and styles I see around me.

2.When did your ‘style story’ begin? What was your age and circumstances when you began to shop for yourself and choose ‘styles for yourself? How did you personally feel about who you were at that stage of life?
                  When I was younger I was really into the fashion magazines like Seventeen, Cosmo and occasionally Vogue. At the time, my mom would take me shopping at Kohl’s and JcPenney while all my friends were sporting Abercrombie & Fitch, Hollister and American Eagle. I felt really out of style and a step behind my friends. I thought the key was in the brand. I started shopping for myself at around 7th grade. My mom would give me an allowance to spend. One time I blew it all on make-up! My mom and I talked that night about why I felt like I needed $50 worth of make-up to fit in. It was a huge eye-opener for me. That’s when I really started asking myself what it meant to be beautiful and whyI was choosing the exact same things as my friends.


3.What is your favorite personal feature and how do you ‘play it up’ in expressing your personal style?
                  My favorite feature would have to be my hair. I always try to have my hair done. For me, the hair makes the outfit. If my hair matches the way I feel that day, there is an absolute contentment in the way I feel about myself. I have naturally wild and curly hair. It can sometimes stick out in weird places and frame my face in an unflattering way. But when those good hair days come to pass, I feel like I’m ready for a photo shoot. My personal style reflects my mood and my hair really helps piece it all together!

4. Talk about your experiences shopping in boutiques, Malls or online clothing ordering.
                  Shopping in boutiques is a nasty habit of mine. I like having clothes that are pretty rare, so no one else will have seen it before. That’s pretty selfish of me, but I like feeling unique when I do feel like dressing up. Malls are not my biggest fan, nor am I one of theirs. I can hardly ever walk into a mall and find something that really fits my style. I don’t like when shorts ride up in places they aren’t supposed to. Especially being a short and curvy gal, that kind of cut seems pretty unflattering for me. Online shopping is the number one shopping endeavor I like to avoid. As my good friend from Forrest Gump once said, “Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you gonna get.” I feel like this applies to online shopping, but instead of chocolate, you have a box of expired chocolate. Should you chance it or not?


5. What are one or two items that are hardest for you to shop for, and why do you think that?
                  I have the hardest time shopping for shirts and jewelry. I have a small torso, decent sized bust and a little bit of a tummy. Most of the shirts in the stores today are not very flattering on women with a little tummy. I usually go for the oversized spandex, polyester blend shirts or something sheer with a tank top underneath to hide the little area. Jewelry on the other hand is just hard, because I feel as though it takes away from my face rather than enhances it like some people. My best friend can wear almost any kind of jewelry and all i see is her lovely face with a pretty necklace & earrings. If I put on the same jewelry, I feel like a walking mannequin for a jewelry set.

6. What do you LOVE to shop for? Name a few of your favorite items?
                  I love shopping for shoes and workout clothes!!!! I look great in workout leggings and a pair of nikes. Dresses and boots are also some of my favorite things in the fashion world. There are so many kinds and each one can help obtain a different look!



7. What do you DISLIKE the most to shop for? Name a few of your least liked items?
                  I think the items that are the hardest for me to shop for would also be the items that I like shopping the least for. Shirts and jewelry are a toughie in my book.

8. When you shop for clothing, how do you feel about your body? What do you think is the most challenging part of your body to dress and why?

                  The most challenging part of dressing my body would be my little tummy area and the fact that I’m short and curvy. In some outfits, being curvy can make me look even shorter! I have to be careful about specific patterns that can make my curves look bigger. For the most part however, I love my body and I get along great with my little tummy. :)


Thanks so much for sharing your Style Story with us, Lindsay! We love how you are at peace with how your style has evolved! 



And a big thank you goes out to Alyssa Campbell Photography  for the spectacular underwater photos! 

No comments:

Post a Comment